Inaugurated in 1911, the Lubumbashi factory was the first installation of the Union Minière du Haut Katanga, the Belgian colonial company which is at the origin of Gécamines, renamed in 1967 by the Congolese government after independence. 1967. A jewel of the Katangese mining industry, the plant produced 600 tons of copper per day in the late 1980s.
Keywords used by Gwenn Dubourthoumieu to describe this photograph: Democratic Republic of the Congo, Congo, Katanga, Gécamines, factory, industry, mine, copper, ruin
This art photography is available in various sizes and finishes.